Sunday, June 23, 2013

Work Journal -June 23, 2013 Euthanasia

When asked the "what do you do for a living?" question my reply is usually met with the response that "euthanasias must be so hard".  In reality, most pets are euthanized for good cause and it is much harder emotionally when an owner can't make the decision to end their pet's suffering.

Today a stability check was called for a dog that "wasn't doing well in the lobby" and when I ran to go get it I was met with a receptionist running towards treatment with the dog.  I helped open the door for her and grabbed the oxygen as she laid it on the table.  As I placed the mask over the dog's mouth the receptionist began to tell me the patient's history.  He had a history of CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) for the last 3 years, well managed with medication, then acutely had trouble breathing and wet sounding respirations this morning.

The dog was given a dose of furosamide and then the doctor left to talk to the owner.  Upon her return I reported that the dogs color was getting worse and his RR had nearly doubled.  But, I was told the owner wasn't prepared to euthanize and had to think it over.  The doctor attempted to suck out some of the pinkish foam that was gathering in the dog's pharynx to allow him to breathe better and when it was clear that it wasn't really helping she left again to tell the owner that the dog was going downhill pretty fast.

And, as the owner weighed the decision, I was left standing there with this bug-eyed dog who was fighting for air.  At first he was making up for his fluid filled lungs by simply breathing faster.  This allowed the tiny portion of his lungs that weren't drowning in fluid to exchange enough oxygen to keep him alive and pink at first.  But by the time the doctor came back from talking to the owner the dog's color was muddy and he was trying to sit up in an effort to allow his lungs to expand just a little further.  After the doctor left the second time the dog started to fight the oxygen mask.  He was panicking as he was drowning due to the fluid in his chest.  He tried standing several times, but the increased effort caused him to breathe even harder and faster with each attempt.  I tried to calm him, tried to hold him up so he could expand his chest without using extra energy to stand.  I tried to deliver the oxygen in any way I could think of to reduce his stress, and tried to talk to him, pet him, keep him warm.  But the whole time I kept staring at the real solution -the euthanasia solution in the syringe one foot away.  Because I knew there was no winning this fight.  All that could be hoped for was a peaceful end -soon.

And it eventually happened.  He just went limp in my arms and seized as his heart gave up.  In the end the owner didn't have to make the decision that she dreaded so much.  I cleaned him up and carried him in for her to say goodbye and she got to skip seeing him panicked and fighting for air for who knows how long.  I don't blame her for her hesitation, though.  I know firsthand that giving the okay to euthanize feels like you, yourself, are killing your friend, your family member.  But as one who spends those last precious moments with many terminal patients I can say that euthanasia is not something I fear.  In fact it is sometimes something that I sometimes wish for desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment